Monday, January 12, 2009

Israel-Palestine: Getting Past the Past

One of the first questions I am asked by friends or acquaintances of mine is how can I support Israel. I've also been accused of not being able to see both sides of this complicated history between the Jewish State of Israel and Palestine. However when it comes to history, its not that I don't see both sides- because I do. It's simply that after 60+ years (starting from the creation of Israel and going back as far as my critics desire to go) I think history is...well, history.


Show me more ....



Thoughts?


One of the first questions I am asked by friends or acquaintances of mine is how can I support Israel. I've also been accused of not being able to see both sides of this complicated history between the Jewish State of Israel and Palestine. However when it comes to history, its not that I don't see both sides- because I do. It's simply that after 60+ years (starting from the creation of Israel and going back as far as my critics desire to go) I think history is...well, history.

Following the fall of the Ottoman Empire, which controlled the land from 1517-1917, the Leauge of Nations (the prequel to the United Nations) delivered a mandate (known as the British Mandate for Palestine) to Great Britain to create in Palestine a national home for the Jews. Needless to say that Arabs were not happy. The attempts of the British (and the French) to divide the land that was Palestine led to many riots and fighting. By 1948, the British essentially gave up and turned the issue back to the United Nations which came up with its own plan on how to divide the land. Under this plan, two states where to be created, one for the Jews and one for the Arabs. The Arabs were soundly against the creation of a Jewish state and the loss of land and went to war with the Jews over it. The Arabs lost the war and the Palestinian State was never created. Instead, that land was loss to Israel and Jordan, leaving 780,000 Palestinians refugees.

If you are really interested in the detail of the history, check out the following links:

As for my support of Israel today, it comes down to this argument. The way that land belonging to Palestinian's and Arabs was essentially taken by a bunch of foreign countries, divided, and given away was unfair. In fact, the way a lot of land was acquired and countries were developed can be rightly described as unfair and unjust (the "discovery" of the United States by Christopher Columbus is a good example). However I look at it from a practical and realist standpoint. Does anyone really expect the map of Palestine to go back to the way it was 60 or 100 years ago? The reality is that today, in 2008, Israel is a sovereign nation. Starting wars by launching rockets and bombs into Israel's borders is not going change this reality. All it does is continuously aggrivate the situation and make life worse for the people you claim to represent. Additionally, if a sovereign country (Israel or any other country for that matter) was being attacked then I would say it is within their right to defend themselves also. That country should defend themselves using whatever means they have at their disposal, but they should also be responsible in doing such.

While I do support Israel in their efforts to defend themselves, I hate war as much as the next person. Like everyone, I hope to see all sides come to the table and work out the differences. But be realistic. Israel isn't going anywhere. Have realistic expectations, wants, and needs. The creation of a Palestinian state...realistic. The extinction of Israel...not so much. Lifting the blockade on Gaza...possible.

There is nothing wrong with remembering the history. You just have to know how to get past it.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. hey b! nice blog and i agree with your aforementioned thoughts

    -connie

    ReplyDelete